You’re in the middle of the most bitter week of winter and you wake up trembling in a pile of blankets in bed. The first thing you think is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to find yourself in a situation like this where it feels like you’re destined to suffer until morning to set up furnace repair, but there are a couple things you can take a look at, as well as a couple things you can do, to stay on your toes and have a plan for a predicament like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Frigid nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you avoid a chilly situation.
- Compile supplies. Set aside some room in a closet, drawer or another handy area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you toasty while your furnace isn’t working. It could seem inconvenient or unnecessary now, but it will be nice when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Operating:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace may have been tripped by a power surge or for a different reason. If this is the case, switch the breaker back on and you could be set. If the breaker is flipped and you have turned it back on but your furnace still isn’t running, give us a call to set up an appointment for furnace repair.
- Add layers and get cozy. That list of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you retain body heat so you can stay cozy while waiting for your pro. Also, try to find an activity to do to keep your blood pumping, as more activity can help keep you cozy.
- Stay safe. Employing something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose some danger depending on the method you’re choosing. It’s important to remember to never choose heating methods developed for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use a secondary method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your go-tos.
No one wants to deal with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has stopped working, but the opportunity is real if you don’t take the right steps. Give the team at Toshack Service a call at 1-888-547-6162 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services provided or any other number of heating questions.